I think it’s easy to let the memories of these times when the children are very young slip by, as the busy tasks of getting through the day creep in and take over. When it takes you 15 minutes to get out the door (and I mean from the time you say “we’re going!” till the time the car is actually backing out of the driveway) stopping to savor each moment would make you late for..well, everything. So in an attempt to protect some of these memories from the dimming of time, I am writing them down.
Right now, we don’t need an alarm clock. Our alarm clock is the pitter patter of little three-year-old feet coming down the hallway every morning – somewhere between 5:45 and 6:15. We never have to worry about waking up in time to start our day.
Right now, both my kids wear footie pajamas. I would love it if it could stay that way.
Right now, no one on earth can make Baby Girl laugh harder than her brother.
Right now, my husband and I are always in bed way before 11 – because we know we’ll be up around 5:45.
Right now, my kids like the same toys, the same TV shows and the same movies. Somehow, I don’t think it’s always going to be this way.
Right now, I can still hide Christmas presents in almost plain sight in the guest room and OBB has no idea.
Right now, I don’t have to do anything to Baby Girl’s hair in the morning or any time of day for that matter. There just isn’t enough of it yet.
Right now, both of my kids’ favorite people to be with is their parents. OBB is never more content than when he is outside working/playing with his father. And Baby Girl, having a serious bout of separation anxiety, would prefer to be with me 24/7. I know that won’t last.
Right now, Baby Girl wakes up every day babbling away in her crib, on her back, legs in the air, rolling around. And she’ll stay happy that way until I come get her in the morning.
Right now, I decide what my kids wear, what they eat and who their friends are.
Right now, I’m having to explain what holidays are to OBB – how Halloween works, why we have Thanksgiving and what Christmas is. And when I spend any amount of time trying to explain Santa Claus, I seriously question why I’m doing it.
Right now, Baby Girl can still fit, snuggled up into a little ball, on my chest at night after her bottle, while I rock her to sleep.
Right now, life is good. It’s simple and happy and not too complicated. Not to say it’s easy. It’s not. But in and amongst the diaper bags, potty training, teaching manners and battles over eating dinner, it’s filled with lots of little moments of joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment