After what is the shortest off-season of any sport I know (and what feels like an even shorter off-season) NASCAR has returned to my house with vigor. Yesterday, our day began with show after show on the Speed Channel, retracing every mile of every Daytona race ever run throughout modern history. These shows gave even the most naive NASCAR neophyte a working knowledge of the sport - at least enough to make intelligent conversation with NASCAR fans. It was kind of like Cliffs Notes for Daytona.
The "super bowl of NASCAR" (as Daytona is referred to but which makes absolutely no sense to me - ok, I get it, it's the biggest race of the year - can't you just call it opening day or something like that?) was supposed to start at 2 p.m. After an hour of introductions and the requisite show of military might and patriotic splendor, the race got underway after 3 p.m. Why not just tell people the race starts at 3 and if they want to hear all the pre-race stuff, tune in earlier?
Now that I'm going on year 5 of being subjected to, I mean being edified by the world that is NASCAR, I've developed a few opinions about drivers. Most of my opinions are based on pure emotion and have very little to do with these drivers' skill behind the wheel. I think Tony Stewart tries to be a good guy but it's a struggle for him to keep it in check each week. I think it would have made a better story if Mark Martin had won last night, but I think people of his generation tend to romanticize things a little and we all have to live in reality...and the reality was that Kevin Harvick had a better car at the end. And I think it's time for Jr. to leave DEI. It's easy for all of us to sit around and assume that Teresa isn't putting enough money into his cars and that's why he's not living up to the hype, but until he goes to another team where his relatives aren't involved, we'll never know what he's capable of.
So there you have it. My two cents on the Great American Sport (yes, I said sport for those of you football fans who have doubts).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Shame on you...great American sport??? Have you been brainwashed?? Didn't you know it was the first official practice of spring training yesterday? That the best starting rotation ever, showed up to practice in front of 921 fans and 200 reporters?? I think you need to seriously rethink this. You have 9 days until the first Spring training game to figure this out.
Did your Husband notice that I kicked his butt in the fantasy league this week?
Post a Comment