Monday, December 18, 2006

Chipped Off

So today I was at the grocery store and I saw something that just appalled me. Pushing my cart up the chips and soda aisle, I noticed a man stocking the shelves with Lays potato chips. Time after time, he would pick the bag out of the box, go to put it on the shelf and drop it on the grocery store floor at which time you would hear a loud crunch.

Aren't you kind of a complete failure as a potato chip bag stocker if you drop every bag before putting it on the shelf? And this guy didn't work for the grocery store...he worked for Lays - which in my mind is even more offensive. I remember seeing a 60 Minutes report on the immense pains the people at Lays go to to make sure your bag of chips is a perfectly delightful experience. They have special chip tasters to make sure every batch tastes the way it should. They have spent millions in R&D to develop machines that handle the chips ever so carefully so as to retain their perfect chip shape while being loaded into bags. And this guy undermines the entire process at the last possible second by dropping each bag before he puts it on the shelf?

There's really only so many skills one would think you would need to be a potato chip stocker and not dropping the bags seems pretty crucial to me.

2 comments:

gagknee said...

Wow. I never knew you were so passionate about chips.

Nhmommaof5 said...

What amazes me about this experience is that you had time to notice this event! Guess shopping with 5 kids, 4 of which are lose in the isles, is a good way to miss alot of sutff!

If this happened in my house, my darling husband would fire off a nasty note to the Lays company.